September is one of those in-between months that I just love. It's a time to roll out of summer and get ready for fall. It feels like such a wonderful time of transition for me to clear away the accumulation of physical and mental clutter. A time to simplify and get clear on my intentions for the remainder of the year.
Gretchen Rubin, who writes about habits and happiness, has suggested that September is the new January. So as not to delay on making changes, I think each minute, hour, day, or week can be a great time to pause, take a deep breath, and redirect to a place of greater space and meaningful work. With that said, I agree with Gretchen that in the rhythm of life September is a time to get organized, simplify, and make any adjustments.
Here is a sneak peek at what my September has included:
- Taking a lot of walks in the woods. Nothing reminds me to connect and breathe quite like a walk among the trees. With my two adventure pups at my side, we have been taking in the various shades of greens along with the subtle, emerging yellows, oranges, and reds in our backyard.
- Drinking tea. I love tea and had gotten away from making it part of my everyday. I am back to drinking tea first thing in the morning. Sometimes a green tea, or mint, or pumpkin spice chia to really get the spirit of fall swirling around in my tummy.
- Getting organized. We just moved into our house in May and a number of things have not been used, or worn, or adding to life. So out the door they go! Another example is recycling. Between recycling and our compost bin we have very little trash and all these "recyclable items end up everywhere." I set up a series of bins to pre-sort in the way that we need put them at our local transfer station. Now it is easy to keep up with.
- Simplifying systems. I enjoy setting up the processes to make things flow in my life. Not as a way to restrict myself but as a way to free up time and space for what matters most. I have also been re-configuring where and how I write and create. When I am using too many systems it complicates and prohibits doing what I want to do. I have been narrowing down and simplifying what works best for me this month and loving every minute of it.
- Flowing into routines. Each season brings a shift in the flow of my routines. For some reason, summer is the toughest time. I think there is just a lot of fun things going on: events, late campfire evenings, and lot's and lots of get up and go (swimming, walking, hiking, paddling, general exploration). September has been a centering time to flow into a morning routine. Like drinking tea and writing first thing in the morning. I have also been getting back on my yoga mat and/or out in nature in the morning. These couple of things make a big difference in my day. This means I have been being very intentional about social media and email and do not look at either before 8 a.m. (and sometimes it's 9 or 10 even). It's a process that remains flexible and the key is just being really intentional about it.
September is going fast and autumn is officially beginning this week! I am sinking into a wonderful rhythm and flow and hope you are enjoying this time too. If September is not "your month" or things are just outta wack, I find just doing something today, no matter how small is all it takes.